There’s been a lot of talk lately on the difference between real life and blog life, and whether we portray ourselves as another person entirely.
Everyone is at least slightly different on their blog compared to the “real world,” even if that’s only because your blog lets you backspace until you’ve found the perfect witty words, or fine tune your photos. Most of us are a little less polished in reality – no one flat lays unless they’re taking a photo. But all that doesn’t mean you’re being fake.
So to break down the wall a little, I’ve decided to do my June recap by revisiting all of the photos on my personal Instagram, rather than the one attached to this blog – prepare for fewer photos but a lot more dodgy filters, and the weird realization that I’m possibly more interesting in real life than on the blog (there are reasons for this – will do a post on it soon).
1. At the start of June, I got really excited about the return of winter fruit. Mandarins coming back into season always makes me nostalgic, and reminds me of eating so many straight from my grandmother’s tree that she put me on rations – I was only allowed to pick 3 per day.
2. The opening of Absinthe Tour Le Monde in Brisbane – one of the best shows I’ve seen in a very long time. This did get a mention on the blog – you can read a bit more about that here.
3. Cocowhip is the bomb. Vegan “ice cream” made from bio-fermented coconut, with less calories than an apple? Yes please! There are only a few places in Brisbane where you can find it, but I don’t have a car so it’s never been easy to get it when I wanted. But now Pineapple Express has opened just down the road! This photo was taken at the launch of their lunch menu.
4. I don’t mention her as often, but I have a pet snake called Cersei. When I first got Scout, I would wait for her to fall asleep before getting Cersei out because I knew Scout would think she was a toy. This photo was taken the first time I let my furry menace see my scale baby; suspicions = confirmed.
5. Dad was on the Gold Coast for a conference and Mum came along, so I took a train down to spend the day with her. This was taken from their balcony at the Marriott; it had been a miserable drizzly day, but the sun came out just before I went home.
6. Several people in my office have birthdays in June, so “The June Birthday” has become a tradition. After a very long lunch and several espresso martinis at COPPA, we went to River Bar (where this was taken – how gorgeous is Brisbane, honestly?)
7. A repost from Jenn Gietzen. It spoke to me.
8. Bliss balls and an almond milk latte at the official opening of Miss Bliss Wholefoods Kitchen in West End – a very cute space, and such a lovely, sunny morning with great food and happy people.
So far July is a lot more stressful, but productive. I hope your June was as lovely, and this month is shaping up well too!